CURRENT PROJECTS & EVENTS
IDEAS FOR THE NEXT ELECTION
- Establish one authority to manage all boat ramps in Port Phillip Bay & Western Port; abolish ramp fees and have a maintenance & improvement plan.
- Hypothecate all boat licence and registration fees to a trust account to fund boat ramps, TSV & Marine Rescue.
- Ban netting in the Gippsland Lakes.
- Build a new native fish hatchery in Northern Victoria.
- Stock 20 million fish into Victorian Waterways over the next 4 years.
- Open Devilbend Reservoir up to kayaks & boats with electric motors.
- Open Tarago Reservoir to fishing from kayaks, boats with electric motors and the shoreline.
- Stock on grown Golden Perch into Melbourne metro lakes for summer fishing.
- Establish further artificial reefs in Port Phillip Bay.
- Establish a FAD's program for Victorian offshore waters.
- Create two trophy Murray Cod fisheries in Gippsland & the States western district.
- Introduce an annual prawn stocking program to several Victorian estuaries.
Even though Hazelwood Power Station has closed, the Barra are still supplied with warm water from underground; and the fish are thriving. Fisheries have measured some fish nearing the magical metre mark and have reopened the fishery to land based fishing ....
Futurefish would like to establish a plan for more artificial reefs and the re-establishment of further shellfish reefs in all parts of Port Phillip Bay, particularly in shallower waters around the bay ....
PPB - NET FREE
Stopping the practice of netting in Port Phillip Bay has been a long term goal at Futurefish Foundation. After successful lobbying in 2014, we achieved bipartisan political support to stop the netting. There are currently still 10 netters operating in PPB ....
We are currently lobbying the Victorian Government to continue stocking prawns into Lake Tyers in East Gippsland after the successful trial several years ago. The initial stocking led to record crowds of families ....