CURRENT PROJECTS & EVENTS
OUR WISH LIST
- Create a Barramundi fishery in Hazelwood Pondage.
- Ban netting in Port Phillip Bay.
- Ban netting in the Gippsland Lakes.
- Establish one authority to manage all boat ramps in Port Phillip Bay & Western Port; abolish ramp fees and have a maintenance & improvement plan.
- Provide each Victorian fishing club with a $2,000 grant to help boost membership.
- Open Devilbend Reservoir up to kayaks & boats with electric motors.
- Replace the hp & boat size limit on Blue Rock Lake with a speed limit.
- Secure water for Lake Toolondo to ensure the trophy trout lake thrives.
- Establish further artificial reefs in Port Phillip Bay.
- Establish a FAD's program for Victorian offshore waters.
- Create two trophy Murray Cod fisheries in Gippsland & the States western district.
- Introduce an annual prawn stocking program to several Victorian estuaries.
Even though Hazelwood Power Station has closed, the Barra are still supplied with warm water from underground; and the fish are thriving. Fisheries have measured some fish nearing the magical metre mark and are working on improved public access ....
Futurefish would like to establish a plan for more artificial reefs and the re-establishment of further shellfish reefs in all parts of Port Phillip Bay, particularly in shallower waters around the bay ....
PPB - NET FREE
Stopping the practice of netting in Port Phillip Bay has been a long term goal at Futurefish Foundation. After successful lobbying in 2014, we achieved bipartisan political support to stop the netting. There are currently still 10 netters operating in PPB ....
We are currently lobbying the Victorian Government to continue stocking prawns into Lake Tyers in East Gippsland after the successful trial several years ago. The initial stocking led to record crowds of families ....